Upon entering the major you will be assigned an academic advisor within the Department of Social Work. You usually maintain the same advisor throughout your social work program.
Advisement is cited consistently by our majors as one of the program’s strengths. It is through this relationship that you gain a more personalized understanding of social work and can begin to envision and fashion your career path as a professional social worker.
Your advisor assists you with:
- clarifying your career and educational goals and developing educational plans for the realization of those goals;
- evaluating with you your progress toward your educational and professional goals;
- identifying alternatives and weighing consequences when you are faced with a difficult decision;
- making optimal use of programmatic and institutional resources;
- career and graduate school planning.